Saturday 4 February 2012

DEBATE: Magazines.

Today, I thought I'd talk about my first love; magazines. I've grown up with magazines and they've been something that I've enjoyed reading monthly (or weekly) since I can remember. My obsession started off with  the nice and cheap 99p magazine of Toy Box. I don't remember much about it except the price and the name. But I know I loved it. After this, I discovered my love of music and Britney Spears so magazines such as Smash Hits and TOTP - I used to love ripping the posters out, shoving them onto my wall and learning all the lyrics to my favourite songs! Then came the obsession of magazines such as Sabrina's Secrets that came out fortnightly and I used to collect them religiously - I think I still have them somewhere. I then moved on to magazines like Mizz and Sugar - what I thought at the time were 'grown up' magazines. I used to love flicking through them, trying out the quizzes and reading up about boys! But now, my magazine choice consists of these two beauties..
I can't remember a month when I haven't read one of these magazines. I've read them religiously for around 4 years now and even subscribe to Glamour. (I do want to subscribe to Cosmopolitan but I'm finding it hard as I can only find the travel sized which I don't want). I know that a lot of people claim that these types of magazines just 'brainwash' people and 'mould' people into what they believe everyone should be like. But for me personally, I disagree. Without these magazines, I doubt I'd feel as confident as I do. Without these magazines, I wouldn't have an escapism. I love opening up a magazine at night and reading before going to bed. It's a great way to escape, relax and unwind from the days events. It's also a weird argument with the whole 'blogging vs magazine' situation. I don't believe blogging is a replacement for magazines; I believe they can both exist together. For me, they're both completely different. I look at blogs to see personality alongside products whereas magazines, there isn't so much personality within them. But that's fine with me because there is something else there. A voice that speaks to you somehow. I'm aware that I'm just rambling now but I really wanted to get a post up today and when I saw my magazines on my bed, I thought 'why not write about magazines?!' So here it is. My magazines post.

What are your thoughts on magazines? Which ones did you grow up with? Which ones do you read now?
xxx