Tuesday 19 February 2013

A rant about my skin and Dior

If you follow me on Twitter then you will probably know how bad my skin is at the moment. I struggle to lay down as it's so painful and of course, I don't want to leave my flat. My skin hasn't been this bad in about 5 years. The only product that I've recently changed in my skin care routine is my serum. And this is from the No7 Protect and Perfect serum to the Dior Capture Total Multi Perfection Concentrated Serum.

Since using this serum - which costs £140 by the way, not cheap - my skin has reacted incredibly badly. I don't have sensitive skin, I've never had sensitive skin and although I'm prone to breakouts and I have suffered with them in the past, my skin has never been this bad and this painful. It's as though this serum has completely ripped my skin apart. It's not just covered in spots, it's red, painful, itchy and quite frankly, a mess. I have emailed Dior about this product as I don't think a product from a respected company - and a product that's over £140 - should cause a person such distress.

Another note is that I've been to the doctors about my current break out. I hadn't been to the doctors for this reason in about 4 years. The reason for this is, to cut a long story short, the last time I went to see if there was anything they could do about my skin they were absolutely useless and shunned me away. I used to beg and beg for Roaccutane - now I've heard the "horror" stories surrounding this drug I'm quite glad I was never prescribed it but that doesn't mean they couldn't have tried me on something else.

I went to the doctors wearing make up because long story short, I can't step out of the house without wearing foundation. I'm not comfortable doing so. I did however show them a current picture of my skin without make up (as if they couldn't see how bad it is through make up anyway) and the response I received was... "Your condition isn't serious enough for us to do anything about it." They told me to carry on with my skin care routine and to come back in a week if it's still bad and they'll put me on something to clear it up. There have been many things I've missed out on because I haven't wanted to leave the house. I have spent many hours crying over my skin and it's definitely my number one insecurity. If someone wanting to be house bound constantly because of how much they can't stand their skin isn't serious enough than I don't know what is.

What I don't understand is how something like bad skin isn't taken seriously. Now, I don't want to offend anyone but if someone was to go to their doctors because they were obese they would be taken seriously. They would be offered many different options. I don't think this is fair. Yeah, obesity is serious and it comes with a lot of complications. But it seems that because bad skin doesn't come with health complications it's disregarded and thrown aside by health professionals. But they don't seem to understand the mental, emotional and even social risks that come along with bad skin.

I've now gone out and purchased a really strong skin care routine. A routine that I don't condone at all and one that I preach about not using. It's the "cheaper" Clean and Clear routine and I can already feel my skin hating me for it as it's going to be a dry mess! But at the moment, I'd take dry skin over this mess any day.

So yes, a bit of a negative post today. But I think blogging and social media are powerful platforms and I just want to get out there that firstly, this serum is shocking. I know I'm probably one out of millions who've had a bad reaction from it. But like I said, I don't react to products, I never have done and my breakouts have always been hormonal. And this isn't just a breakout; it's ripped my skin apart. And secondly, I want bad skin to be taken more seriously. It's not fair that countless amounts of people have had to suffer because it's not a serious "illness" yet. When in actual fact, it is very serious and many people have to put up with bullying and low self esteem issues because of it. I, for one, still haven't got my confidence back from when I suffered with spots when I was younger - I'm now 20.

Below, I'm going to insert a picture of the state my skin is currently in. I didn't want to put it onto this post straight away as I understand that some of you might not want to look at it. I personally can't look at this picture without bursting into tears and wanting to slice it off of my face.


















So there we have it. My skin thanks to the Dior serum. Apparently, it's not serious enough to do anything about. The bottom picture is my skin with foundation, concealer and powder on and as you can see, even those don't cover it. Which if you compare what the Laura Mercier foundation can do alone usually (click here) then you can see how bad my skin has reacted to the serum.
xxx
Want to advertise on Bamboozle Beauty? Find out how to here.